Creating an e-waste collection network by launching the “Clean city with recycled e-waste” campaign
PA Asociatia pentru Valorificarea Deseurilor
Coalitions for the management of local and global chemicals
2018.05.08 - 2020.01.31
45 470 $
The project “Creating an e-waste collection network by launching the “Clean city with recycled waste” campaign” is developed by PA Asociatia de Valorificare a Deseurilor in partnership with MoldRec Association and will cover the municipality of Chisinau. The beneficiaries of the project will be the public and private sector institutions, including high school and libraries.
The project “Creating an e-waste collection network by launching the “Clean city with recycled waste” campaign” is designed as a platform for the collection and recycling of hazardous waste such as WEEE and batteries (e-Waste), strategically working towards empowering and encouraging project beneficiaries to adopt sustainable practices and green their work.
The overall objective of the project is to develop a separate collection network for e-Waste in Chisinau by creating 80 collection points. Training and education of ecological and sustainable behavior by the institutions involved in the project, as well as the rest of the population in the Republic of Moldova, directly contributing to the objective of the GEF SGP country strategy on increasing the capacity of local communities to address global ecological problems through direct involvement, interaction and cooperation.
The main activities during the project are as follow:
- Selecting and registering 80 institutions: 25 public institutions, 30 economic agents, 20 high schools and 5 libraries. Signing Collaboration Agreements with them;
- Purchasing 160 dumps for storage of electronic waste and spent batteries (2 dumps per beneficiary);
- Reducing the amount of e-waste deposited at the landfill by regular evacuation and transportation through sorting and recycling of collected waste;
- Raising the eco-friendly knowledge and practices of public and private sector employees in the field of e-Waste management by supporting the logistics organization of e-Waste collection, as well as the quarterly issuance of the Waste Management Magazine;
- Delivering an eco-friendly course by enhancing the knowledge and practices of students, teachers and librarians in the field of e-Waste management through a supportive training cycle, organizing creative competitions, quarterly insurance with the Waste Management Magazine;
- Elaborating a Final Report for the presentation of the results of the “Creating an e-waste collection network by launching the “Clean city with recycled waste” campaign”.
The project aims to achieve the following results:
- Involving at least 80 institutions directly in actions for collecting separate e-waste;
- Creating the minimum necessary infrastructure requirement for selective collection of e-Waste;
- Implementing a project that turns e-waste into secondary raw material and reduces CO2 emissions;
- Editing a total number of 400 publications (quarterly), uploading on the global digital library data.communitiesconnect.net;
- Developing at least 2 thematic platforms for communication and enhancing dialogue on e-waste. An extensive network of collaborating NGOs. Organizing at least 5 training workshops, training 240 persons (children, 50% women / 50% men), elaborating promotional materials;
- Organiazing at least 60 creative competitions in high schools and libraries;
- At least 10,000 students trained and directly involved in the project;
- Developing at least 2 interim reports, and at least one Analysis Report of the implemented project.